- Loans are made only to recognized institutions, not to individuals.
- Visitors may select specimens that they wish to borrow and set them aside for the staff to process.
- A letter of request (paper or email) for a loan must be sent from the borrowing institution to the Herbarium Director detailing the material to be borrowed and the individual for whom the loan is being made.
- The standard term for a loan is one year. Extensions made be made upon request from the borrowing institution to the Herbarium Director.
- Types are normally loaned for a period of six months.
- Loaned material is expected to be stored in metal herbarium cases and not left out in the open, in order to minimize the chance of insect infestation.